I've
ALWAYS wanted to can but for some reason I've always been really intimidated by it- I guess it's because I never knew how
EASY it is!!! I've been
"CANNING UP A STORM" around here trying to make good use of the vegetables from our garden and a bunch of apples that my dad picked for me off of an apple tree at his work!


This is what my window sill in the kitchen has looked like for the last two months! We had over 40 tomato plants (thanks to mine and Brady's wonderful seedlings that we planted during the winter!) Because we had so many I had to pick lots of green tomatoes or get them off of the ground because the plants were so heavy!
So far I've made:
16 QUARTS of apple pie filling
24 pints of green tomato relish (this is REALLY good if you like relish!!!)
and also:
5 pints of salsa (I tried out just a little because I wasn't sure of the recipe and I'm glad that I did because I ended up not liking it very well. I'll try another next year).
24 pints tomato juice (I'll use this in soups/stews and other recipes like chicken cacciatore, chili)
12 Quarts of spaghetti sauce (which came out GREAT!!!)
10 Quarts of pickles
5 comments:
Ummmmm....if you need someone to sample your canning goods--I'M HERE FOR YA SISTA!!!--
Everything looks yummy, and I laughed when I saw all your tomatoes! You can also try friend green tomatoes too! I've heard they're actually pretty tasty!!
Seriously though...I want to try all of it! Since I haven't done any canning over here!
good job, lady!!! awesome!!
--- did your green tomatoes taste good after ripening "off the vine"? I'm trying to decide if I should pick all of mine or not -- as it is on the verge of starting to freeze . . .
You put me to shame... and to think I was all proud of my one pot of sauce. I am seriously impressed, Hannah! Nicely done!!!
WOW! Hannah, you're amazing!! I still need to learn how to can - you inspire me to get on it :) It all looks so great!
Way to be domestic Hannah!! The pie filling will be soooo yummy. I love this time of year when the air smells so good and we start canning our gardens.
Post a Comment