
Inauguration 'Inspiring' to LDS Leaders LDS.org01/21/2009 02:19 PM MST
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was represented at inaugural events for President Barack Obama by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency, and Elder M. Russell Ballard, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
“Elder M. Russell Ballard and I were very pleased to have been able to attend today’s historic inauguration of the 44th president of the United States of America. In doing so, we represented President Thomas S. Monson and the entire Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” President Uchtdorf said.
“It was inspiring to be an eyewitness to this peaceful, impressive, transfer of power and the swearing-in of the first African American president. We pray for President Barack Obama’s success in these challenging times and join in his expressions of hope and optimism,” he said.
President Uchtdorf and Elder Ballard attended the swearing-in ceremony on January 20 and will attend the National Prayer Service at the Washington National Cathedral on January 21.
“It is always an honor for the Church to be represented at the inauguration of a new president,” said President Thomas S. Monson. “We send our best wishes to President Obama and pray for the blessings of a loving Father in Heaven to be upon him and his administration.”
---Text and Picture provided by LDS.org (http://ldslivingonline.com/article.php?articleId=98315)
-------------------
I was happy to watch the Presidential Inauguration of both Vice President Biden and President Obama. I thought that Obama's speech was both inspiring and true. It is time for America to move forward and I am "one of those" that beleives that President Obama has the capacity to do so. He said that there are many who criticize his "big dreams and goals" but to look at America and how far we have come and the things that have already been accomplished. Not that many years ago he, as a black man wouldn't even have been allowed to enter most public restaurants and now here he is, voted into the highest office that out nation holds. I think that is proof alone that America and her people are capable of a great many things and great change!
-------------
I for one feel priviliged to live during this time on earth, when the gospel in it's fullest and we are witness to so many great and marvelous things! We may not agree with many choices that President Obama may make during his Presidency but we need not fear! For God is truly at the helm, and He alone can govern the earth and His works will not be frustrated. I believe that President Obama is a good man, with an honest heart, a commitment to the country we live in and all of the people who live here. He wants change and we greatly need it! We must pray for our new President and trust in God! Press on everyone! May we all be doing our parts in whatever capacities we can fill in whatever corner of the earth we live! "By small and simple things, great things are brought to pass!"
1 comment:
Hey Hannah! Thanks for your sweet comment and for the good luck with my prego goals (much needed)
I'm trying to be more optimistic with Obama, so it was good for me to read this. I am also so grateful that I have the gospel to turn to for comfort. The Lord will take care of us, and I need to have more faith. I'm looking forward to seeing what Obama has in store for us, and am so proud to be an American! God Bless Us ALl!!
Love ya!
Post a Comment