President Hugh B. Brown who had met with women in Europe during WWII: "These brave women have carried on in the face of almost insuperable difficulties...To kneel in prayer with these women and to hear them thank God for their simple blessings, for the preservation of their lives, and the lives of their loved ones, and for their scanty provisions and their windowless homes is at once an inspiration and a reproof to many of us whose material blessings far exceed any enjoyed here, but who frequently complain at being deprived of a few luxuries" (Daughters in My Kingdom, 78).
*WOW* This hit me right at my core, because over the past several months I have been heard to complain often that I want my own home again and that I'm just not happy where we are. Perspective and gratitude enter my heart! I am so thankful that we have a warm home that accommodates our family, that allows us to gather together and be safe from the elements and provides a haven from the world around us. It is not important what it looks like, or whether we "own it", but I have made it HOME for now and I will be happy here for as long as we need to stay here. I thank God for blessing me so abundantly in my life and I'm going to make more effort in my life to see His hand in my life.
Over the weekend I had the opportunity to attend my Stake Relief Society activity. I had woken up late and had considered not going, but as I've learned in the past, when I do not feel like attending church on Sunday or a meeting, that is when I really need to be there and I always come away feeling so glad that I went and having learned or been reminded of something important in my life! As was this activity on Saturday. The theme was "Look Up!!!" So many times, we as women fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to others, thinking that we're not good enough, pretty enough, our house isn't clean enough, we don't get enough done etc., etc. This causes us to lose faith in ourselves and focus on what is important, and often causes us to drop our heads and look down in despair and disappointment.
What we SHOULD be doing is to LOOK UP to God and to Christ, our Savior to find the strength that we need in our lives and to know that we are a DAUGHTER OF GOD!!! He did not create us to be average! Our potential was "installed" by the Creator. How we use this potential is up to us individually. We are the ones who doubt what we are capable of. We are the ones who compare. We are the ones who judge ourselves most harshly.
God will align your path in this life to what our potential can be if we allow Him in. We have to have faith, be still and make time for Him in our lives to direct us. This is exactly why we are often asked to do things outside of our comfort zone. What may seem overwhelming and challenging is exactly what we need to grow! We must learn to trust in God- He breathed the very life into us and holds us in the palm of His hand!
We hold within us greatness! Consider our heritage! Develop qualities that we would want others to learn and that we would want to pass down to our children! I do not want my children to think that they are not good enough. I want them to be able to develop their talents and to follow their dreams. In order for me to instill confidence in my children I need to be a confident woman!
Satan seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself, yet we know that man (and woman) were created that they might have joy!
President Monson- If we exercise faith to LOOK UP to God then we will be amazed at the burdens that are lifted from us.
I want all of you, my friends and family, to know what beautiful women you are. So many of you have truly touched my life in small and great ways. Please do not get caught in the trap of comparing yourself with others around you. If there is something that you struggle with that you wish that you could do better at that maybe a friend of yours does beautifully at, don't tear yourself down about it, try to get better and follow their example. Trust me, there are probably things that you are good at that that same person wishes they were better at! We all have strengths and weaknesses and we should use those strengths to build each other! I love you and I thank God every day for the good people that he has put in my life.
1 comment:
I sure love you, Hannah. Thanks for your sweet words today, I needed them. I hope that all is going well. I'd love to hear what's going on with you and Chris. If you have some time, drop me a line. I'll be twiddling my thumbs - waiting for Friday to come. :)
Post a Comment