THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN EITHER BE THE
SAFEST
SAFEST
&
MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE
OR
THE SLOWEST FORM OF POISON
~ann wigmore (source: Pinterest)
I want to share a few thoughts from my study in "Daughters in My Kingdom." On page 45 it reads:
"President Brigham Young taught his daughters to 'retrench in everything that is bad and worthless, and improve in everything that is good and beautiful.' To retrench is to remove something...when President Young counseled his daughters to rentrench, he meant for them to turn from worldy, frivolous, and immodest behavior and clothing....he counseled the Saints to forsake the ways of the world...and gave practical counsel that related to matters of daily living. He encouraged frugality and hard work. For example, he counseled the sisters in Relief Society to reform their eating and housekeeping patterns. Retrenchment meant more than adopting a simpler lifestyle; it meant a change of heart."
This quote from a prophet of over 100 years ago reconfirmed to me that truth does not change. The world may change around us but God's expectations for his daughters stays the same (as is does for all his children of course). I feel the great desire to turn from things that have no worth in my life and focus on what does have worth and will have lasting value in heaven. I want to give my family good health as God intended with the use of the beautiful, whole foods he provided us with. I want to nourish them with love and spiritual feeding and to be an example of service and love for others.
Yesterday we had our Visiting Teaching Conference during Relief Society and I came away with the great desire to truly administer to those who I have been given stewardship over as a visiting teacher, and also to others that I see in need. My family has been given so much. When I take a step back from all of my "wants" I realize how little we truly want for. I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that teaches me to think of others. It teaches me to act upon my intuituion and to stay near to the Spirit so that he can guide me to those in need.
Also in "Daughters in My Kingdom" the words from Lucy Meserve Smith:
"What comes next for willing hands to do?" (pg.37)
I pray that I can be an instrument for good in God's hands. That I can stand as a witness and example of the charity of Christ. I will make it a goal to be on watch for the needs of others and to lift another's burden. I know from past experience that it is through serving others and forgetting myself that I find true happiness. This includes serving my children and husband as I keep my eyes open to the simple joys within our home: snuggling a sweet baby at 2:00 a.m., kissing a boo-boo, singing bed time songs, laughter, tender embraces, butterfly kisses and so on... Each day there is joy to be found if I simply look around.
5 comments:
Beautiful, Hannah. Thank you for sharing. We have been doing this for quite a while, but I am also renewing my commitment to more whole foods. Two tools that have been incredibly helpful to me in this process: my Bosch and my pressure cooker. My Bosch, for obvious reasons - but I have found pressure cookers make the most wonderful brown rice out there. I recently started cooking it again after taking a hiatus :) and remembered how much we all love it. (which is saying a lot, because the first time I had brown rice, I thought it was an abomination! :) It definitely needs to be cooked right! :)
Anyway. Thank you for your thoughts. Your post was wonderful and something I really needed to hear today. I love you and hope to see you soon!
Great Hannah! That's awesome. It is something we are always working on doing better at in our house.
Thanks for sharing that quote. Love it.
Oh, and I used to think whole wheat pizza crust tasted weird, but after six months of eating it almost exclusively I absolutely prefer it. Keep at it and Chris will learn to love it. :)
Love that book! I think it is amazing that we are basically asked to simplify our lives. Then we have the time and the physical strength and energy to better serve the Lord. I think you're doing great! Keep it up!
Post a Comment