Tuesday, August 21, 2012

brazilian limeade. "healthified."

I got this recipe from my friend, Rachel and made it last night for dinner to go along with the haystacks.  It was really yummy, but with the high sugar content both from the concentrate (high-fructose corn syrup) and the sweetened condensed milk, I wanted to find an alternative way to make this next time...I've posted both original recipe and alternative, which I will post about as soon as I try it!

Original recipe:
2 cans frozen limeade
1 can sweetened condensed milk
lots of crushed ice

mix limeade as directed.  Pour into a large bowl, stir in sweetened condensed milk.  Add lots of crushed ice.  Serve immediately.

*If this sits longer than a couple of hours it will curdle due to the citrus milk combination.  You can float lime slices on top!




Alternative recipe: (bear with me and be open-minded!)
This is a two-part recipe that would need a little planning, or just make limeade ahead of time and have ready in the freezer.


Part #1- Homemade limeade concentrate:
1 C. fresh, strained lime juice (need about 8 limes)
1/2 C. agave nectar (may need to add 1/4 C. depending on sweetness desired)
1 1/2 C. water

For concentrate:
Combine agave nectar and water in medium saucepan.  Heat, stirring ocassionally, until agave is dissolved well within the water.  Cool.  Add lime juice.  Refrigerate or freeze.  
Yields: 1 quart concentrate.

To make limeade:
1 C. homemade concentrate
2 C. water

Combine concentrate and water in a pitcher.  Stir well to dissolve.  Yields 3 C.  

(You will want enough to yeild as much as 2 cans of store-bought lime concentrate would make.  I figure you'll need to make up 4 batches of the homemade limeade in order to make about the same amount).  The frozen homemade concentrate makes 1 quart (or 4 cups, which should be perfect).


*The homemade limeade concentrate is from www.oneperfectbite.blogspot.com, courtesy of Michael Chu

I substituted agave nectar for sugar from this recipe, making a healthier version of simple sugar that requires less sweetener and is absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream.  When using agave as a sugar substitute, you will use 1/4-1/2 the amount called for in sugar because agave is 1 1/2 times sweeter than sugar.


Part #2- Sweetened condensed milk alternative: (www.livestrong.com)
To create a non-dairy and sugar-free alternative to 1 C. of sweetened condensed milk:

3/4 C. silken tofu
3/4 C. honey 

Place both in blender and blend until smooth.  Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.  Use within a day, two at the most, but will need to re-blend, as it will settle.


To finish the brazilian limeade: Put homemade limeade in large bowl and add in tofu/honey mixture.  Stir well.  Add in crushed ice and serve!



I am excited to try this!  I have tried other recipes with tofu and liked them (AND served them to my family...and they NEVER knew! hahaha!)

No comments: