I've tried several ways of making brown rice over the years. I've tried mixing white rice and brown rice half and half. I've tried baking brown rice. It was okay, but my family still didn't really like it.
Now, they all STILL prefer white rice to brown rice. I LOVE brown rice. I think it tastes so much better and just knowing how much healthier for me makes me love it even more.
THIS way of cooking it has BY FAR produced the BEST results. Fluffy and soft. No hard or chewy kernels.
*Perfect Brown Rice*
1 C. brown rice
8 C. cold water
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Rinse rice in a strainer for 30 seconds. Bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice, stir and partially cover. Cook on med-high for 30 minutes. Drain. Return to pot and cover tightly for 20 minutes. Uncover and fluff.
I do a double or triple batch and then have leftovers in the fridge to use throughout the week or freeze some to go with another recipe. Rice freezes really well!
1 comment:
The first time I had brown rice, it was at my MIL's house and I hated it! I think she used "minute brown rice" or something, but it was nasty. Years later I was introduced to my pressure cooker and now I LOVE it - because it's cooked right. Thanks for sharing . . . good to know that it can be done another way.
Post a Comment