This post is long overdue. In June the kids and I spent a few weeks learning about ducks. It all started when we went for a picnic along the river when my mom was visiting. The Canada goose goslings were everywhere!!! We ate a hurried lunch and then ran as fast as we could back to the car! They had surrounded us and tried to attack us to get our food!
We didn't have a chance to get a picture of the large goslings, but I did take this one of some fuzzy little ducklings
When we drove away from the park we saw this duck crossing sign:
which made me think of the book, "Make Way for Ducklings." My mom used to read that book to us and I always loved it. Since we were right by the library I ran in to check out the book, and while I was looking it up I saw many other books on ducks as well. I thought, "What the heck? Let's learn all about ducks!"
During the week we were presented with lots of natural opportunities to explore around us and learn more about ducks, geese and eggs. Grammie Morgan and I even had the opportunity to save a duck family that had gotten caught in the current of the canal and were about to be sucked under into the grid and culvert that runs under the highway. The children watched with intrigue as we used a plank and placed it along the riverbank for the ducklings to get up into the grass. Their mama was very distressed as she didn't know we were trying to help her babies, but after about 20 minutes we successfully got them to safety!
Our cousins gave us this nest that was built on their front door wreath! It has a beautiful blue robin's egg in it!
We thought it would be fun to paint our own eggs from rocks we gathered outside. The kids picked different eggs from the books we had that they thought were beautiful. I think their creations are beautiful too and they are displayed on our bookshelf!

Brady drew a picture of the Canada goose family we saw
We started getting farm fresh eggs from our friends down the road. We love how the eggs are different colors, shapes and sizes. They taste so good and the yolks are a dark golden yellow and perky. Try cracking open a store-bought egg next to a farm fresh egg and you'll be amazed at the difference in color and shape...not to mention the taste. I actually cringe when I have to buy store-bought!
We saw a duck
family today-
hooray, hooray!
They were swimming
in a deep canal water-way.
They were fuzzy and
brown and swam
all around.
Swimming really fast
near their mommy and
daddy, some swimming
past to their nest in the grass,
far out of sight- it was
fun to see them- they
were quite a delight!




No comments:
Post a Comment