Monday, June 29, 2009

The Passing of a Wonderful Young Man...

Clayton David Thomas
July 15 1992-June 28, 2009


I was sadly informed today of the passing of one of the most wonderful young men that I've been blessed to know. Clayton was one of the youth in my branch back "home" in Maine and I was privileged to be able to get to know him as I served in the Young Women's and also as we were good friends with his family.


In fact, this past weekend we went down to Utah intending on attending the reception of his sister's wedding that took place on Friday, June 26th. If we had been able to attend we would have seen Clayton along with his entire family.

After the reception the family went to Clayton's grandparent's cabin to spend their last few days in Utah prior to returning home. It was there that Clayton was exposed and poisoned unknowingly by Carbon Monoxide. He died suddenly on Sunday evening and rescue teams were unable to revive him.

I just can't believe how truly fragile life is and how we need to guard each precious moment. We were driving home from Utah when all of this happened.

I am thankful that I have the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life to give me comfort and understanding. I am thankful that I know that families are forever and that someday the Thomas family will be able to reunite with their son/brother.

From the words of his obituary in the Salt Lake City Tribune:

"Clayton was a cheerful and optimistic young man who absolutely loved life and people. He was kind to all and loved being around his family and friends. He was a natural peacemaker. Clayton was an Eagle Scout and an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He had a passion for music - singing, playing piano and drums. He loved being in theater and performed in many high school plays and musicals. He loved sports - playing soccer, running track, wake-boarding and snowboarding. Clayton recently said he loved being busy because it kept him focused on what was important. And what was most important to him was his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ; he looked forward to serving a full time mission."

He had a smile that could melt anyone's heart and a spirit full of happiness. He may not be able to continue his life here on this earth and serve a mission as he had dreamed but I know that he is now on a mission for the Lord in Heaven.

"Clayton is survived by parents and grandparents as well as four brothers, Tyler, Dallin, Tanner, Aaron, a sister, Whitney Lewis, and her husband Ryan whose marriage took place only the day before this tragedy. Clayton is also survived by many aunts, uncles and cousins who love him dearly. Clayton will always be our gee-whiz, all American boy - we love you Clayton!"


My heart goes out to the Thomases and all of the family and friends. May God be with you and bless you during this terrible tragedy.

2 comments:

megan said...

such a tragedy
things like that just break my heart

Bradbury Bunch said...

oh my. This was so sad to read, but also is a great reminder for me to enjoy every second to the fullest because you just never know. In one second your life can change. It's also a good reminder to KNOW that we have this beautiful gospel and because of it we WILL see family members again and live with them forever. There family is in my prayers as they're going through this difficult time.