As you can see we really enjoyed our lunches! And then the kids were off and running! Brady went too fast for me so I stuck around with Livy and got some adorable pictures of her:
And then...she asked to go down the "big slide!" I grabbed her and away we went...who knew that within 2 minutes Livy would end up with a broken leg! I tried to keep her safe by going down the slide WITH her and actually ended up hurting her! Her poor little leg (which was exposed because we had changed her into shorts) stuck to the side of the slide which had a bend in it and when we went around the bend the plastic of the slide "grabbed" her leg and pulled it backwards. Her little leg got stuck between my leg and the slide and it all happened so fast there wasn't anything I could do about it!
She cried and cried and I felt so bad but there wasn't any swelling or bruising so we figured maybe she just sprained it or it was sore. We packed up and went home and put her down for a nap, which she slept from 4pm- 7:30 and we had to wake her up! (Clue #1)
Then she refused to be let down and when we did try to put her down she dropped to the floor and wouldn't even try to walk or put any pressure on her right leg (Clue #2)
We decided to give her a blessing and called over Jon, friend of ours who I work with (he's a physical therapist) to help with the blessing and give us advice as to whether we should take her to the ER that night or wait until the morning...we ended up going to the ER at 10:30 at night!
We were lucky though because we got in right away and had very good service. Livy screamed her head off when we had to get x-rays but she calmed down enough to lay on the bed while they splinted her leg.

The verdict: non-displaced right femur fracture
A few days later I took her to the orthopedic surgeon and had a hot pink cast put on. When the put it on she said: "Oooh! Nice!" She likes her cast and calls it "pretty" and we painted her toenails pink too but she is very frustrated that she can't run and play. She's been such a good sport though and overall hasn't been very fussy about it. To get around she either crawls and drags her leg behind her or she scoots on her bum, using her upper extremities.
1 week down and 3-5 weeks left!!!
3 comments:
Oh poor little bug! That's so sad. I hope that it heals quickly!
Okay--those PIGTAILS ON LIVY ARE THE CUTEST THINGS EVER!!
Second would be the cast! She is still a doll even with her leg wrapped up in a cast! She is a trooper and so strong--let her know that we're going to run, skip and jump when we come this Summer-so she needs to heal quickly!!!
Can't wait to hug and kiss you ALL in person!!!!
Also can't wait for more posts!! No pressure sis-I know your busy! :)
That is so sad. I actually read recently how going down the slide with the kids can actually do them harm, broken legs. I'm sorry to hear.
Post a Comment