I've set the bar (a little too) high for birthday parties around our house! BUT, we've had some pretty spectacular parties, if I do say so myself! This year we did a Super Hero party theme, focusing on Batman, Superman, Captain America and Spider Man. I was glad I ended up having an extra week to work on the party because our entire living room got redecorated, I made some pretty awesome costumes and was able to get everything done like had imagined it in my head!
I got the idea for the birthday banner above on Pinterest and made it by hand out of paper and ribbon I already had. Then I wrapped all of the picture frames in the room with craft paper or wrapping paper that I bought. I got the idea for the circle garlands from my friend, Charlotte's nursery she just recently finished for her new baby.
The Decorations:
I wrapped books, frames and recycled boxes in paper and either drew or cut out windows in black paper.
Gotham City:
I already had the masks so those were easy props and I made the "medals."
The Costumes:
Olivia wanted a "Princess Super Hero" cape...this is what I came up with! I thought it turned out pretty cute too! I used some fabrics I already had- leftover pink from a project and the shiny gold was from a remnant I'd bought at D.I. for $1.00!!! a few years ago!
Grandpa LOVED Zach's costume- and Zach didn't seem to mind wearing it at all!!!
My three guys!!!
Our SUPER Family!!!!
The Games:
For Batman we played "Beat the Batcave"- I hid bat necklaces all over Olivia's room and then closed the blinds and curtains to make it dark in there. The kids had to go in one by one and find one of the necklaces, a.k.a. training medals.
For Spiderman we played "Web the Enemy" outside. I split the kids up into Villains and Webslingers and we played a game of tag. The villains held laminated pictures of villains in Spiderman, such as The Sandman, Dr. Octo, Venom, Rhino, and The Green Goblin. The Webslingers had cans of silly string and they chased after the villains, trying to sling their "web" and get the villain. Once the villain was caught they were webbed and had to freeze. Then we switched roles and played some more. To take up more time and get more wiggles out we also ran some silly races. Thank goodness for warm weather in February!
Dr. Octo, a.k.a. Lily
For Superman we raced "Faster than a Speeding Bullet" and "Able to Leap Tall Building in a Single Bound" and used some of the building decorations as props for the kids to jump over. We also made Kryptonite GOO from borax, water, glue and green food coloring. It was pretty slimy so we added more glue, which then made it too firm. The kids thought it was a pretty cool experiement though!
For Captain America we played "Shield Slinger" and knocked over cans (recycled formula cans!) featuring the villain Red Skull. We used Brady's shield and slung them at the cans. Everyone had three turns to knock the cans over.
After each activity they earned their training medals that I made out of craft paper and yarn I already had in my craft stash.
I bought a Super Hero coloring book for and colored the pages and laminated them for the Super Hero stations.
The Food and Treats:
Thank goodness for my friend, Jandy who came over LATE the night before and helped my make these Super Hero cake pops!!! Theydidn't come out quite as I had imagined, but still cute nonetheless. Jandy was a lifesaver! I would have given up and trashed the whole thing! We made the masks and capes out of fruit roll-ups. I'm thinking next year I may just give in to buying cupcakes at Sam's Club, save myself some time, energy and worry!
I made food for each of the Super Heros as well....
The crowd enjoying their lunch!
The Gifts:
Chris arrived home right after all of the kiddos left (he had to work), but we opened gifts from our family and Grammie and Grandpa together.
Some awesome Star Wars LEGO pens from Grammie and Grandpa Graf.
Batman LEGO set from Aiden and Ninjago LEGO set from Gabe.
*Not able to come to the party was his friend, Daeson, who gave him a ninja and horse set
Star Wars LEGO set from Lily
PaperJamz from Cameron and a Robot from Logan
Hot Wheels set from Tara and a CARS LEGO set from Rachel
After gifts we played Super Hero Powers Cherades and then we had our Birthday song and the cake pops!
Chris arrived home right after all of the kiddos left (he had to work), but we opened gifts from our family and Grammie and Grandpa together.
Some awesome Star Wars LEGO pens from Grammie and Grandpa Graf.
Chris and I got Brady this LEGO set, a Star Wars LEGO travel case, a Super Hero shirt and a Harry Potter LEGO PS3 game. Are you seeing a pattern here??? YES, our boy loves Star Wars, LEGOS, Super Heroes and Harry Potter!!! Oh, and video games!!!
We were going to get him a bike but he is inbetween sizes right now so we'll see how much he grows by this summer and take it from there! Grammie and Grandpa Graf also gave him some money to buy a baseball mitt for t-ball this year and a church movie about Abinidi, which we love because we try not to watch TV or other movies on Sundays.
Grammie and Grandpa Morgan sent Brady a subscription for Ranger Rick magazine, which he be getting in the mail, he got re-usable Star Wars color pages from Auntie Nickie, Uncle Nick and cousins, Lexi and Chloe and some b-day money from GG and Papa Morgan.
It was a great birthday...and now I'm going to take a rest from crafting for quite some time!!!







































3 comments:
Dang, girl! You put me totally to shame. Looks like the kids had fun!
So cute! And also, you're nuts. It's parents like you that make it seem like I'm not doing enough just to invite kids over to play in the backyard and eat icecream for birthday parties. :) Nonetheless, I'm still going to be a lame-o. :) Looks like everyone had a BLAST. Sorry we couldn't be there, but I'm really glad that you were able to put everything together the way you had envisioned. :)
Whew, Hannah! I'm tired just from reading it! You are amazing, and Brady will remember the fun things you do for him! I'm glad it all turned out...Daeson was so sad! It was a hard decision for him to make...cabin or birthday party??, but we will have to have them get together. Great job, Mamma!
Post a Comment