1 Nephi 7: 17-18 Nephi is in the wilderness with his brothers and Ishmaels' family. His brothers and several of Ishmaels' children turn against Nephi and bind him, seeking to leave him in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts:
But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, "according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound." And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosened from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren..."
It struck me as I read this how plainly and faithfully Nephi prayed to God. He was direct and told the Lord exactly what he needed of him. God did not answer Nephi in the same manner as Nephi had requested (give me strength that I might break these bands) but yet, he answered his prayer by loosening the bands that they fell off! We do not always get an answer exactly as we have asked for it, but we must look to see how God has answered our prayers in HIS WAY and in HIS TIME.
vs: 21: And it came to pass that I did frankly forgive them all that they had done, and I did exhort them that they would pray unto the Lord their God for forgiveness...
How quick are we to forgive? What are we forgiving others for? Nephi forgave his brothers right away for trying to take away his life! We have NO EXCUSE not to forgive others, and to do so before the feelings of hurt fester within us to the point that we are not able to forgive. Once we forgive someone of a tresspass that they have done against us, it is just as important to leave it there and not bring it back up to use against the person. It is crucial to develop a healthy relationship to move forward and not linger on the hurt. True forgiveness doesn't forget (we are human), but it allows oneself to move onward.
Remember, the Lord forgives us of ALL our sins when we ask for his mercy. It is our responsibility to afford others the same grace. If we do not then we are not worthy to ask Christ to absolve us of our wrong-doing.
Seek to improve your relationships. I know I have relationships that I need to mend and strive harder in. No feud is important enough for the loss of love, especially involving families who are sealed for time AND eternity IF we live up to our covenants.
3 comments:
I teach Sunday School to the teenagers- Book of Mormon this year. I have really enjoyed diving into the scriptures and really studying them. I have found Nephi to be such a great example of prayer and forgiveness, among so many other things! Thanks so much for your thoughts on this!
I really have been enjoying your post, Hannah......
Loving studying the Book of Mormon in primary this year. So much I can learn from Nephi. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment