Friday, May 23, 2008

"Super Power" Green Smoothie

Okay, some of you are going to think I'm crazy but I have always been interested in health/the environment etc. and try to expand my personal knowledge on these subjects and incorporate as much as I can into my life. With that said, I have been trying to come up with some alternative meal ideas- specifically for breakfast- because I always feel lousy in the morning and NEED A HEALTHY PICK-ME-UP!!!

I have done soy protein shakes in the past combined with soy milk and frozen berries but that gets VERY expensive and we're definately trying to be budget consciouss...so I did some browsing on the internet and found GREEN SMOOTHIES! At first the idea is VERY unappealing: who wants to drink a combination of fruit and veggies? Well, let me tell you- Brady and I made up a shake today and it was good!!! For anyone interested in learning more I found a great site: www.greensmoothiegirl.com (let me know if you make one and tell me what you think!)

I'm definately going to incorporate this into my life as much as possible (at least for me and Brady b/c I don't think Chris will jump on this bandwagon!)

There are so many benefits of these "smoothies" because you're getting TONS of veggies and only taste the fruit. I am chronically anemic and being able to get so much FRESH, RAW leafy greens will really help with that!!!

Here's the "recipe" Brady and I made:

2 bananas
1 apple
1 C. frozen strawberries
5 C. baby spinach
2 C. baby romaine
2 T. ground flax seed
3/4 C. water

First blend apples and bananas w/ 1/4 C. water (I'm going to have to get a better blender for this because it took a while and I had to keep stirring it) Then add greens. Blend. Flax seed. The rest of the Water. Enjoy!

Brady called it his "Super Power" smoothie and drank about 1/2 C. of it. This is in place of a meal (lunch) which I would also pair some other veggies or a small "snack" like a pita and hummus etc with it.

I think I'm going to continue a weekly post with health tips and good/healthy/filling "snacks," meal ideas etc. So, if anyone is ACTUALLY interested in this stuff, let me know or I won't waste my time "blabbing" about things no one else cares about!!!

3 comments:

Emily said...

This is so funny. I can just see Chris turning down the spinach smoothie! Way to go you and Brady for drinking it! That is a great way to get your greens!

Bradbury Bunch said...

Sounds interesting! I'm going to have to try it out!

The pictures of your temple day are cute! You girls with your adorable bellies!! I'm glad you had a great time, and was able to get to the temple!!

lynsey said...

i'm totally going to try this, thanks for the suggestion! it's a little new putting lettuce in a smoothie but i'm willing to give it a go. you still look great btw!