Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama for America: The Change We Need




"I'M ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE.

Not just in my ability to bring about

real change in Washington...I'm asking

you to believe in yours!"


Tonight Barack Obama was elected the first black president of the United States of America. I know that this will be acontroversial post but I just wanted to say that I'm glad that he won. Right from the beginning I felt like he was the change America needs; he is passionate about the working class people and I think he truly cares what happens to us. I did not feel that way about McCain, who I felt to be a pompous self-righteous self-proclaimed "Maverick!"


I know many of my friends feel that Obama is all talk and "full of lies" but I don't and I hope that he is a good President and that he'll be able to be instrumental in turning our economy around.


Yes, there are issues such as women's pro-choice, sex education being taught very early in school, gay/lesbian marriage etc. that I don't agree with; however, we've had a Republican President for the last 8 years and all of these things were continuing so I don't think that having another Republican in office would make any difference. I do believe in agency and I guess that's what pro-choice means. We need to hold to our values but we also can't force others to view the world in the same way.


So, for those of you who don't agree with me in thinking that Obama won because he deserves it then I hope you'll at least be hopeful in the future and give him the benefit of the doubt...I can't wait until Jan. 20th to see how he will begin office and what the future of our country will look like from here on out.

5 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

You already know what my hope for this election was, but I'm really surprised by yours. (Don't worry, I'm still your friend! LOL!) I think a couple of my top issues that I have with this man (and they are many) are his contempt for our inspired Constitution and our capitalist society. I'm also surprised that you are able to overlook some really fundamental moral issues with Obama.

I'm not trying to start an argument - I was just surprised.

Bradbury Bunch said...

WOW! Honestly, I'm scared to death! There are many things I don't agree with at all with this man...MANY!!!! I'm sad McCain didn't win. :(

However, I know my church is true! I love it with all my heart, and am comforted that the Lord is going to take care of us no matter what, as long as we do our part!

I'm praying for America!!

Levi and Amanda said...

You don't know me (I'm Nick & Nickie's friend) but I will support you! :-) I agree with you, I supported Obama to win and quite enjoyed your post. Good for you for posting your opinion on the matter....as a fellow LDS member who supported Obama for president, I appreciate how hard it is to go against the stream. Thanks for sharing that!

Lindsay said...

Hannah, I agree:) This is Lindsay (Earnshaw), we need to get in touch again! As a fellow LDS member as well, I support you in your choice for President. I had some things to add regarding many fears from LDS: 1) McCain and Obama both believe that marriage should only be between a man and woman. 2)The whole sex education at an early age idea was unfounded and I could find no evidence of it being backed by Obama. I think just a scare tactic.3) As for abortion, of course we believe it is wrong. Obama does too, from all that I have read. We just have different ideas about how to decrease the number of abortions. Obama wants to focus on decreasing the number of unwanted pregnancies while still maintaining privacy and not letting government legislate such intimate issues. Whether or not we agree with Roe v Wade, we (as LDS) can work together with Obama to support programs that decrease the number of abortions. I think Obama is a transformational leader with great ideals as way as plans to achieve them! Anyway, email me at lindsaytoone@gmail.com and we can catch up!

Emily said...

I greatly disagreed with your post. He does want to make abortion a federal law in all states, including partial birth abortions. I find it hard to respect a leader that does not respect human life. While abortion is a big deal, there are definitely other big problems with the way Obama thinks. Reducing homeland security, reducing military when the world is unstable, changing the constitution, taxing the people working hard to give to the people who are not working or even payng taxes, creating health care that will raise taxes, changing the strongest part of America, the family, by allowing gay marriage, giving Americans free money (the stimulus check)by borrowing money from other countries and taking our country further in debt...the previous economic stimulus check did not do anything to improve the state of the economy. I appreciate the fact that we do live in a democracy and people have the freedom to express their views as you and I have. I just hope that people everywhere from every religion, color and walk of life have researched and considered what the changes Obama wants to make will do to our country and society. I just wanted to leave my thoughts on this page as well. I hope that Obama is a good president, I truly do and time will tell. I have always thought you are a wonderful person, and I'm glad we can both voice our opinions and challenge each others thoughts. That is how we learn and grow....your post made me think as well.