Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Felt Food and D.I. transformations...

As Christmas was approaching I regularly scoped out deals at the D.I. and found some steals!!!!

20 dinosaurs for $1.00!!!!


Since I was going for a retro kitchen look I found some great things to use as is or transform with my new best friend, spray paint!!! I spray-painted the brownie pan (perfect small size) and the muffin tin both red.

I also spray-painted this little pie plate red (cherry pie still in progress) and I found these cute salt & pepper shakers and spray-painted them brown and then added some foam letters to them.

I also found THREE of these adorable little wooden milk bottles! This is EXACTLY what I had been wanting to find for months and they were there! I spray painted them white and then painted and mod-podged some clip-art onto them....



... and presto-chang-o!!!! Milk, Chocolate milk and OJ!!!!!



Here's all of the felt food that I've been busy making....

Strawberries
(in a cute antique tin that my mom found at an antique shop)

Orange wedges
Banana
(re-movable from the peel!!!)
Bacon and Eggs:
Sandwich and all of the fixin's
(a side of potato chips)
Hamburger with all the fixin's
Pizza
For the sweeth tooth...
Cupcakes!!!
I thought the cupcake tin came out adorable spray-painted!!!
Gingerbread Men & Cookie Dough
(My mom found the rolling pin at an antique shop, I found the cookie cutter at D.I.)
(I also found this cute red and white checked placemat, set of 2 at D.I.!!!)

Decorated Gingerbread boys (and girls)
The Play Kitchen:


I found this mini colander at Macy's one-day sale for only $5!!!


I found this cowboy coffee pot at a local consignment store also on sale for only $5!!! (These rare finds are usually well over $20)


Dolly Bed:

I re-vamped my little dolly bed that I had since I was a few years old by spray-painting it dark brown (to match the kid's bunk bed) and making some coordinating "cowgirl" bedding. I still need to make a cow-print pillow and add some fringe to the denim pillow...



7 comments:

megan said...

this is totally my kind of post! go hannah! LOVE it all!! I've been wanting to make some play felt food for a longgg while now, but sewing machine is broken (don't have money to fix it yet) yours turned out so cute! Love the cutting out cookie idea!! you are so creative!

Rachel Holloway said...

hey, did you do your felt food with a sewing machine? Or did you hand sew? I asked Charlotte and she said you have to hand sew. BUT I WOULD LOVE if you machine sewed and want to pass me in that direction.

Everything turned out so cute! GREAT WORK and awesome thrift finds. You are a girl after my own heart!

Hannah said...

for anyone who asked, I mostly hand-stitched the felt food (blanket stitch) but fancier machines are able to do that and some things (like the lettuce, chips, bologna, cheese etc. can be machined stitched on a regular straight stitch) I prefer the blanket stitch look so I'm a bit crazy and do it all by hand!!!

Bradbury Bunch said...

SO CRAFTY SIS!! Great finds at the blessed store too! Love that feeling when a bargain is had!!

Great job--and we can't wait to play with all the fun food next summer. You'll have to teach me how to do it! We can have a felt food/hairbow party!!

Patty said...

You definitely are creative! Good job!!!

Michelle Cooper said...

I love your blog, Hannah. I think I originally came across it from Kristen's blog. Anyway, you are so creative! I love seeing your photography and all the creative things you make and do. I have a blog, too, but it's set to invited readers only so that I can put pics of our foster children (when we finally get another one!). If you want to read it, just send me your email address and I'll send you an invitation.
Take care!
Michelle Cooper

Whitney said...

You are so talented, Hannah! Everything turned out adorable! I've been wanting to try felt food for a while. You've given me some motivation!