I mentioned in a previous post that I got together with a good friend of mine a few weeks ago. If you're friends with me then it's not secret that I've struggled with my weight most of my life, especially after having babies! My friend, Melody inspired me when we got together (as she often does!) We talked a lot about health and lifestyle changes and I realized that I need to stop making excuses and do the things that are hard that will change what I don't like (physically) about myself. I also expect that in making these changes I'll probably also notice changes within myself.
So, I am trying to become more accountable, and in so doing I'm going to be a little more open about my private matters on my blog. This is something I haven't really done before and I've resisted. Mainly because I don't like putting myself out there. BUT, over the last several months in particular I have realized how much it helps me when I read my dearest friends' blogs as they put themselves "out there." Many times is has been through their experiences that they share that I have felt such a connection with them, felt so lucky to have them as friends and felt confirmation that the things that I FEEL and I want to change are good and right.
Last week I started my simplified version of making some healthy changes. I have tried and tried and tried again, but always have given up in the past. I don't want to be a quitter and I DO want to change. So, in order to be more successful I am putting on less pressure and making mini-goals on a daily basis that I am challenging myself to keep. For each of these mini-goals that I accomplish throughout the day I am rewarding myself with 25 cents. Silly? Maybe. But, at any rate I will be able to see how well I'm doing with a visual of coins in a jar on the counter. And, when I reach my goal I'll have saved up a bit of money to buy myself some much needed clothes.
My goals:
-Drink 12 cups of water a day (3 liters) (This is harder than you'd think!)
-Eat 5 small meals a day (This is suprisingly difficult as I often forget to eat throughout the day as I'm busy doing other things...then I eat too much at a given meal...)
-Eat WHOLE foods and pair carbohydrates (including fruit) with protein so my body can process it better. This has been going well. It forces me to think of healthy and whole food options. I am phasing out WHITE in our house, much to the chagrin of my other family members. I keep telling them that SOMEDAY they WILL thank me! Chris has been a good sport and has been trying VERY HARD to "like" what we are eating these days....this is going to take a LONG time for our family to adjust to!
-Go to bed by 10 p.m. (This has NOT been going well. I have always enjoyed my night time hours and often will stay up into the wee hours of the morning, which does not make me a good mommy the next day! I have a hard time MAKING myself go to bed everynight when I am getting SO MUCH done and having ME time! Any suggestions???
-Read my scriptures daily (this just needs to happen on a more regular basis. If I do not do this first thing in the morning it just doesn't happen...)
-Exercise (OK. Unlike a lot of people, I actually really like to exercise. What I don't like to do is interupt other things I'm doing to exercise. I used to get up at 4 every morning and go to spin class. I LOVED it once I was there. I HATE, HATE, HATE getting up early. It just isn't right! Especially when you're waking up several times a night with babies and small children! I have yet to get down a good routine for this since becoming pregnant for Zach. I REALLY need to get this one going...)
Aside from being unsuccessful in several of these areas I did lose 3.4 lbs. last week! I just measured myself in all {scary} areas on Sunday night and now I'll be tracking my measurements as well. I have visions of one day fiiting into a bathing suit and not scaring all of the small children! =)
But seriously, I mainly want to become fit and healthy. I came to terms a few years ago with the fact that I will never have beautiful long legs, or any long appendages for that matter! I am built the way that I am built, but I can look the best that my body can and feel good about that. I want to be an example of health and confidence for my children and I want to help instill in them positive eating and fitness habits!
Thanks for bearing with me, and stay tuned for updates on my journey to health!
{UPDATE!!!} Since I wrote this post I have lost another 4.8 lbs!!!!
Total weight lost: 9 lbs !!!
{UPDATE!!!} Since I wrote this post I have lost another 4.8 lbs!!!!
Total weight lost: 9 lbs !!!

5 comments:
Good for you, Hannah! And I bet it won't take your family as long to get used to wheat as you might think. The first few weeks of any change are hard, and then it just is what it is. And they WILL thank you for it someday!
I also struggle with going to bed. No idea what to do about that one. :)
I haven't been able to get myself into an exercise routine either. I like to exercise, but not all forms of exercise. I really just want to go out and run... but that's really hard with 3 kids, especially since Jon has claimed the wee morning hours for working out. I figure in another month Jane will be big enough for me to feel comfortable leaving her at the Y day care. So I'm giving myself a little slack on that one for a few more weeks.
You've been doing so good at updating your blog lately, too. Way to go!
Way to go, HANNAH!!! You're awesome. I know you can do it. I'm working on much the same things. I know I can do it to. :) You're going to do amazing. I think the trick is to not give up when you have hiccups. It's so easy to say, oh well. But we can both do it! :)
I think reading scriptures is key. The Lord will guide you in knowing how to accomplish the things you desire.
Love you, Hannah. I think you're incredible.
SO, SO, SO PROUD OF YOU! What wonderful changes--I know you'll be able to do it all!
So I missed this post somehow! Just saw it. I'm really proud of you and all the hard work. I know EXACTLY how hard it is to make all those changes, especially all at once. But if there is one thing I know about you, it is that you accomplish everything you set your mind to. I think we should go shopping together when we lose all this baby weight!!
Hannah! I just got caught up on your blog and I LOVE IT! :D so proud of you, girl! :) I've been struggling with a lot of the same things, so I can totally relate.
How's the going to bed at 10pm? You asked for suggestions, so I think I have one. :) I seem to find myself going to bed at around 2 or even 3 in the morning sometimes, and it sucks. I'm always mad at myself when I do that. I've done a couple things to try and realign myself back to a normal sleeping schedule, but then that one night creeps back up and I'm up really late again.
But anyway, my suggestion is that you should try and kill 2 birds with one stone: you could work out at night after all the kids are in bed. :) That way you'll still get some exercise, and still have "you" time. For the last month, I've been going to the gym at 9 every week night. Rajon is just about to go to bed right when I get home. I've been loving it, because it has given Zo and Rajon some time to be together, we don't need a babysitter, I get a workout in, I still get to tuck my little man in when I get home, and what would I normally be doing if I were home during that hour? Probably just laying on the couch watching tv! It's been working for us, so it might work for you too! :)
Anyway, I hope that helps, and I'm really excited for you and your family's new healthy journey! :D You are amazing! :)
Post a Comment